Search More

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Facebook CEO talks privacy, 'Social Network'




Damn I missed the show...


I'm sure you were too busy coding your own social network. Never fear. You can watch the full 24-minute interview with Facebook's CEO on the CBS News show's website, and we've got a speedy recap of the best quotes here.
Zuckerberg didn't cover much new ground in this interview, but he gave his interesting impressions about "The Social Network," the recent movie about his life, the Harvard twins who sued him and his extensive T-shirt collection.
Oh, and then there was this gem of a question:
"Is the goal for you to conquer the whole internet? To own the internet?"
And Zuckerberg's non-answer answer:
"Well, think about it like this, people -- if they can use the product -- of any category, photos, groups, music, TV, anything, either by themselves or with their friends, I think most of the time, people want to do those things with their friends."
Interviewer Lesley Stahl: "So, is the answer yes?" (laughs)
Zuckerberg: "I think -- so, I mean, the answer ... is that we want to help other people build a lot of these products."
Never a natural communicator, Zuckerberg looked more comfortable than he did in his previous "60 Minutes" interview in 2008. Sunday's segment also referenced Zuckerberg's awkward onstage chat at the D8 conference in June, during which he appeared anxious and sweaty when asked about concerns over Facebook users' privacy.
Here are some of the other highlights. Assuming Facebook doesn't "conquer the whole internet" before you get to read on, let us know what you think of the interview in the comments section.
On the film version of his life
Zuckerberg: "I can't tell you how many messages I've gotten from people who use Facebook writing in to say this movie was really inspiring to me. After seeing this movie, I want to start a company. Or I want to go into computer science, or I want to study math. And if the movie had that effect on people, then awesome, right? I mean, that's great."
On slacker-chic fashion
"In watching it, it's pretty interesting to see what parts they got right and what parts they got wrong. I think that they got every single T-shirt that they had the Mark Zuckerberg character wearing right. I think I actually own those T-shirts. And they got sandals right and all that."
On his love life in the movie
"There are hugely basic things that they got wrong, too. I mean, they -- they made it seem like my whole motivation for building Facebook was so I could get girls, right? And they completely left out the fact that my girlfriend, I've been dating since before I started Facebook, right?"


Read more